DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, INCORPORATED
In December 1941, nine members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated met in Greensboro in the home of the late Dr. and Mrs. Warmoth T. Gibbs to request from the national body the establishment of a graduate chapter. The graduate members continued to meet through the spring of 1942 until their dream of a chapter in this city was realized.
The chapter was chartered as Beta Mu Sigma on May 24, 1942, with Marian Palmer Capps, regional director, officiating. The ceremony was held in the home of the late Dr. and Mrs. Warmoth T. Gibbs. Their daughter, charter member Elizabeth Gibbs, became the chapter’s first president. Other charter members were Lenore Barry, Selma Boone, Mae Sue Roberts, Estelle Smith, Regina Smith, Ellen Torrance, and Georgia Willis.
Beta Mu Sigma was originally a part of the Eastern Region, but in 1960, due to reorganization mandated by our national organization, Beta Mu Sigma became a part of the newly created South Atlantic Region.
In 1963, Grand Chapter authorized the change of graduate Delta chapters to geographic names. Beta Mu Sigma then became Greensboro Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. For more than a half century now, Greensboro Alumnae members have involved themselves in projects reflecting the Five-Point Programmatic Thrust and in local service projects that have been extremely meaningful to the Greater Greensboro area.
Although the chapter began with only eight charter members, today it has more than 400 active members. As the chapter grew in numbers, its efforts in community service increased, and its members have made stronger commitments to the Sorority’s purpose as envisioned by its Founders and charter members.